Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A mouth full of it all... the down hill slide

A few weeks back I was sleeping soundly when my love came in to wake me up. He had been out shooting at the archery range close by. He entered the door way, but I was already awake (he wasn't very quiet when he got home.) He sat on the edge of my bed and said, "I had an accident." Of course at this point I am thinking, well you are alright, how is the car? He turns on the light opens his mouth and shows me the damage.
He broke one tooth completely off at the base and the other two he shattered half way down. His top tooth was chipped, but there was no damage beyond that.
How? Well his trigger on his archery bow is solid metal. When he went to pull back on his string (his hand was sweaty because it was really hot out) and some how his finger slipped hit the trigger release before he had his string set and then the metal release slammed into his mouth with great force. You would think that would be the worst of the pain, but that was just the beginning.
After call and call and call to the insurance company (who has actually been really great to work with) we finally thought we had a plan to follow. He had to get two root canals (on the two bottom teeth that we shattered but salvageable) and the other tooth had broken at the root, so he was going to need an implant there. We got coverage for an implant, and pretty much everything from our health insurance. Then the dentist office informed us that even though they had done a ton of work up to this point, they no longer were going to accept our health insurance! What...aren't the insurance companies suppose to be the problem??? After a lot of ridiculousness with the dentists office, we got an appointment for the implant to be set. (They had told us with our dental insurance coverage all of it would cost $4,000 out of our pocket! With our health insurance just about everything will be covered 100%)
I got a friend to watch our daughter, so I could take him in for his surgery where he had to be put completely under. I sat for an hour and a half in the waiting room and then, they called my name. Turns out, no implant at all! BONE GRAFT...where is the bone from...a cadaver! And one of the worst things was/is you can see the yucky, brown/yellowish, discolored bone with a whole lot of black stiching around it. I suppose that is not the WORST of it... he has to now wait 4-6 months before he can get his implant and then he has to wait 3-6 months to get his permanent crown on. No more biting into anything, he can't even bite into a sandwich for anywhere from 8-12 months.

To top it all off... the fridge broke. Thank goodness I have a man who can figure out just about anything, and with $160 in parts it is working again.

But to really add the CHERRY ON TOP... we have termites!

(If you are reading this, just remember, the downhill slide has some bumps that add a little bit of adventure to this life! I have to be honest in saying I would never go down that hill without a big push!)

No comments:

Post a Comment